Monday, January 25, 2010

I Spent The Rent

As another birthday quickly approaches, I decided to entertain the idea of treating myself with one of our longest held wants. I'd spied the Weltron 2005 immediately after it was listed and I'd kept an eye on it for the entire week, debating whether or not I would make a grab for it. I finally decided, with a few hours left in the auction, to toss in a low-ball bid and hope for the best... seriously doubting that I had any real hope of winning. So, needless to say, it came as a total shock when I realized that we'd actually wonand at way less than half of its current going rate.

Tony spent all day, in agony, as he dutifully waited for me to come home so we could open the packages together. The seller did a great job packing this up. She only charged us $45 and she had it Fed-Exed to us within three business days of the auction's end! I'm sure she ended up paying a lot more on her end. Thank you!

I really wish we'd taken some before photos because the record player was extremely filthy when it arrived. Tony used some miracle cleaner that his sister-in-law had given us the last time we visited his family and he methodically cleaned it for over two hours! I still can't believe what a huge difference it made!


Coincidentally, we'd found a pair of 70s Nivico sphere speakers on Craigslist a few days before the stereo auction ended. We managed to get the seller to negotiate with us and he priced 'em down and within our budget. No, these won't get hooked up to the Weltron—instead, we're running them through our main stereo system downstairs. We can't wait for the next soiree, so we can give 'em a good workout!

5 comments:

Genzilla said...

Those speakers are great! Let me know how they sound. Or better yet I will hear for myself in April!

PS - What do you get the girl who has everything for her birthday? Suggestions encouraged.

Trey Lindsay said...

awesome!!

monone said...

Weltron 2005 in perfect condition ?? You're soooo blessed !!! And look at these speakers ! You just have perfect taste ...

gregg said...

I have those speakers too, they're a lot heavier than they look. Mine has a screw on attachment where you can hang them from the ceiling like a swag lamp and that's where they are. Your site is plastic fantastic!

Gonked, Glooked and Slurped! said...

Thanks for the kind words!